Saturday, February 13, 2010

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Pink and White project COMPLETED

So, you have read about me trying to complete this receiving blanket I needed to go with the baby booties and bib for a gift. I was trying to recall the directions for a diagonal receiving blanket I used to make. However, that was a minimum of 6 (7?) years ago and I kept having to pull it out and start over because it just was NOT working up properly. So, here is my first go that made it past about 4 rows. I was going to make it striped and thought it would be so pretty. I was NOT happy.

Believe me, this was NOT the first try. It was more like the 8th. So, I finally Googled "Crochet Diagonal Blanket pattern" and found exactly what I needed on the Lionbrand website! I was excited except it was made with one of those bulky yarns. I wanted my blanket to match what I'd already done so I proceed with the making. As I worked, I was thinking it wasn't looking very large. Hmmmm...

I re-read the directions. AHA! I had started working with the same hook I'd used for the bib and booties. That was NOT working. I used a G for those and this blanket called for a K. WOW! That really would make a difference! Here you can see the bottom triangle was done with the G hook and the top, which has only about 1/2 the rows of the other one, was done with the K. Yes, that made a HUGE difference and you could actually see the pretty edge it made as you worked with the larger hook.

I decided to work the blanket as a solid pink and work the edging in white. Since I wasn't using the yarn called for, my blanket isn't quite square and the edging looks a bit... well, just not quite right to me. However, I completed it according to directions with the exception of the color change and I'm pleased with it. So, here are a couple of photos of the blanket and the set I made to give.


This is when I had just finished the main part in pink.






This was when the entire thing was complete. I think it's pretty but I think next time I may play with a different kind of edging. Maybe a little more ruffle like. This one was easy but I think I'd be more pleased with something a little different.


The entire set all together and ready for me to fold and put in the gift bag. I stuffed the booties with tissue paper so they stand up.

A close up of the finished bib and booties.

By the way, I used Caron's Simply Soft pink and white yarns.

I'm not sure which photos are the most accurate with the color but I took some with the flash and some without to try and get good shots.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I love the whole set, and whoever it's earmarked for is sure to love it too.

    I finally got the baby sweater licked. I've never been able to do booties either. Is this pattern easy? If so, could you share please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie Anne, I think booties pattern was really easy. I'm adding a link to it up in the blog so it will be clickable. I couldn't figure out a way to do that here in the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete