Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wednesday WIP - Tiramisu Set completed & Baby Booty Story

Completed Baby Gift Set
So, here is a photo or two of the completed set I had been working on. It turned out beautiful in my own opinion and I'm ready to make another for someone else expecting a baby soon. :)  


You can click the photos to enlarge them


Now, I had promised a few people the "baby booty" story. First of all, here are the completed booties I sent with the set to my friend.  Once I figured things out, they turned out well and I plan to make more for gifts to others. :)


 
Ok - lesson learned...when you start working on a pattern, read it COMPLETELY through. I found this booty pattern in the middle of a set which had a sweater and bloomer pattern, the booty pattern and then a hat pattern. Since the booty pattern was in the middle, that is where I began and ended. Didn't check anything else except the materials needed for the hook size. :)


Frankenstein Booty
Platform Booty
Please note that patterns written in the UK use the same terms we use but have different explanations.  So, once the first booty made it extremely clear that I had used the wrong stitches and ended up with a platform booty, or as one daughter said, a booty to fit baby Frankenstein's foot, (insert total surprise face) I thought about it (still not looking at the pattern) and changed my stitches.  Here are pictures of that first one... Now you can see why my kids said it looked like platform shoes or a Frankenstein shoe. LOL



Bottom is still too deep
So, now I've changed the stitches to what I think is the correct conversion. I was still off a bit as you can see...
Comparison shot
And so here is a shot of the properly crocheted set. Moral of the story is to always read through your instructions COMPLETELY and check every page of a multi-page pattern for extra notes, conversion charts, etc. If I had done this, I wouldn't have made the mistakes because it was clearly stated on the LAST page of the pattern in a set of two stitch charts - one for the UK and one for the US so you could easily figure out which stitch you needed to use.
Properly crocheted baby booties
 If you have a work in progress, feel free to join our WIP group and share. it doesn't have to be needle work, it can be anything! Just click the picture of Rosie below. :)

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful set. This would certainly be a memorable gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny about the booties, Martie, but you did a great job! That whole set is absolutely gorgeous and the recipient of your gift is a very lucky baby.

    I still haven't found a bootie patter that I think I could tackle. Someday ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the set is beautiful

    I had to chuckle with your story of making the booties, along with the photos.

    ReplyDelete