Sunday, March 8, 2009

Snow! Smoke! Can I exchange a day?


So, this week was a bit exciting for us. Down here in the south we rarely see snow. We got a good one last Sunday. Depending on where you were around here there was anywhere from 1/2" to several inches. Where my daughter takes saxophone lessons there was still snow around the flowers and on the steps on Wednesday and it was at least 3" deep still. It's only a few minutes drive from where we are and I think we only got a good inch or maybe 2 at the most.

Monday schools were closed for snow that had pretty much melted - at least off the roads. However, it was nice to have an excuse not to get out of the house. Terry went to work and had no problems and it only took him 35 minutes instead of 65.

So, the rest of the week was pretty normal except Thursday. I'd like to back up and just not have this past Thursday. My day started when someone contacted me to ask if the rumor they heard was true. I hadn't heard it from anywhere until that point. Ummm... NOT that I'm aware of currently. Maybe it isn't true. Find out sort of the line of the grapevine and decide I'll wait and find out when I see the people this involves later in the week. I go on with my day.

We attended The Irish Music in the Glen. It was fun to listen to Irish music and learn about the instruments. There was a girl dancing some Irish dances and they taught us how to do an Irish Jig. Well worth the $1 each we paid to watch. Then we headed to lunch with friends and had a great time at Pizza Hut. LOL!

Got home and had Sarah start boiling chicken for the casserole we were having for dinner. We needed to boil chicken and noodles and then put it together so it can bake while we are at the dentist. I was in the back of the house when I smelled smoke, the lights flickered and Skylar yelled all about the same instant and I heard the smoke detector going off. Well, the eye of the stove was on 10 and there was a fire under the burner.

Turns out there was some grease that had spilled under the burner that I wasn't aware of since I'd recently cleaned it. We were out of baking soda and the fire extinguisher needs to be charged. I dumped a box of kosher salt (doesn't work NEARLY as well as baking soda) and then dumped a cup of water which did the trick. Having an attic fan and open windows does a world of good for getting the smoke out of the house!

Now, to figure out how to make dinner when we are needing to leave for the dentist. Thought about dropping a child off at grandma's to boil chicken and noodles and be picked up on the way home. Checked the chicken and the water had gotten hot enough for long enough that the little pieces of chicken were actually done. So, told them to boil the noodles using the microwave. It worked.

Sarah and I head to the dentist for our 6month check up and cleaning. On the way, a phone call from another friend regarding the same rumor from earlier in the day. UGH! Different grapevine totally so I think it over and decide I need to find out sooner than later. I need to look up the number for those it actually concerns and get it from them. No time now... it will have to wait until I get back home. And I wonder, why people are contacting me about it since it has nothing to do with me personally. LOL!

Good visit at the dentist, head home to start putting the casserole together and make a phone call. Turns out rumor is true (we find out from an email that showed up about that time). We are losing our AWESOME choir/band director and his wife who plays piano and teaches the elementary choirs after the end of this school year. BOO HOO! We at HMV are all very sad!

So, my sis-in-law took the casserole to her house and baked it for us while we cleaned up the mess in the kitchen. We made tea and had things ready to eat once she got back with the casserole. Had a good discussion over dinner as usual - which included Skylar's guest who had been there through it all.


Skylar and her guest had a great afternoon riding bicycles and playing in the beautiful 70 degree weather. They were worn out so they got their showers and were in bed at a decent time and sound asleep.

What a week and what a day we had!! Can I send last Thursday back and exchange it for another one? LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martie. It sounds like you had quite a day.
    I can relate to losing a beloved choir teacher. Our junior/senior high lost ours last year.
    We're supposed to be getting a blizzard here in ND. Can I send you some more snow?

    ReplyDelete