Sunday, March 14, 2010

. . . . . Achievement Tests aka Filling in the Circles with a #2 Pencil

In the state of Georgia, we are required to give them every 3 years, beginning with 3rd grade. There is no rule about WHEN during that year they must be given. The only rule about which one to give is that it must be nationally normed.  We do not turn them in to anyone but just keep them on file for our own records. The only reason I guess they make us do this is in case you were to decide to send your child back to a public or possible a private school it may make it easier to place them, although I'm not convinced of that.

Regardless of the reason, we are required so this year we have fulfilled that requirement again. The results? Oh, we aren't required to reveal them to anyone. Besides the fact you have to know how to interpret the scores, what difference does it make? I mean REALLY? 

I've heard parents bragging about their child's test results. Come to find out, that parent didn't actually understand the results. I count it a blessing that the first time we ever had our oldest take a test, the place we used sent us an excellent description of what all those percentages and numbers meant.

As a home educator I'm allowed to teach my children subjects in the order we want to learn them. There is nothing that says my child MUST memorize multiplication tables by age 8. There is nothing that says my child must be able to understand fractions by age 11. There is nothing that says we must study Georgia History in 8th grade instead of 6th or 9th. 

We just are not required to do things "like everyone else" or because that is the way some other school does it. I rather enjoy that! We can teach our kids on their level and make sure they actually understand something before we push them to the next thing. We can slow down or speed up depending on their understanding and ability to demonstrate that understanding. 

Oh, you still would like to know how our girls did on their test? As I figured, our girls tested "average" for their peer group. OH GOOD! I'd hate to think I'm responsible for genius thinkers. I'd have to turn their learning totally over to their dad if that were the case. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment