Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What's for Dinner???

So, I got home from a full day of African Drum and Dance at Spivey Hall with my 11yo, lunch with said child and a couple of other home school moms and their sons, a stop in Best Buy to check a price, a stop in Target for a bicycle basket (again for said child), and a stop to pick up some Mary Kay followed by a stop at the alterations shop to drop off a pair of my husbands dress pants that needed a new zipper pull and a suit coat that had a collar trying to detach itself.


Of course on the way home from all this I've been thinking about the question at the top of this blog... "What's for Dinner?" Well, I could stop by my sister-in-laws for the chicken tenders we purchased on Sunday night that are in her freezer. Hmmmm...


I had made a decision about dinner, talked to my 19yo and knew I would need to make a quick run to the store. I decided to check email quickly before making that trip and here is the email I found with the subject line "CONFESSION" from my sister-in-law...


I do not see myself as OLD by any stretch of the imagination (and my imagination is very vivid). In my eyes, I still see myself as just out of high school. However the course of events over the last couple of hours has made me pause and refocus.

While sitting at my desk today, chowing down on my lunch, I was hit with this thought. "On no. I never took the chicken in Sunday night." As quick as I could, I grabbed my keys, went out to my car and on the 3rd row seat are 2 packs of chicken tenders. Where they have sat for 42 hours. I simply reached in, grabbed the grocery bag, walked over do the dumpster and simply tossed in the chicken.

Not sure what dinner plans there are, but we will not be having chicken tenders.


I realize of course, with this confession, my family will begin looking for a "home" for me. Most likely an assisted living home or maybe a room with padded walls.

Is it time to start the search for a good assisted living facility for my favorite sister-in-law?

By the way... we're having pizza for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is something in the air. I am having that kind of week, too. Hang in there gals, I don't think it's time for padded walls yet. If it is, make it a double and I'll move in with her!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super funny...but, if it makes her feel better or know that she will have company in the padded room..here is my story:

    So, you know that I take care of my husbands' grandmother - "Mema". Well, Mema had "Family Thanksgiving" dinner here this year which meant I had a lot to do. She wanted a turkey AND a ham with all the trimmings. Fortunately she has double ovens and I have one, too.

    Mema was MOST looking forward to making ham salad to munch on the rest of the week with what ever ham was left (so, I got a big ham just to make sure we had enough left over). After working my tail off, cooking up a storm and eating - my husband told me to sit and take it easy and he and some of his family members would clean up and put away everything. So sweet and so kind of him, right?!

    So the next day we are eating some of the leftovers and noticing that there isn't much ham left. We are all very surprised and Mema just COULD NOT believe that everyone had eaten that much ham. This went on for a couple of days - the comments about the lack of ham...after all - this is what she was looking forward to most. She then starts to wonder if maybe one of her relatives took the ham home with them! She was obsessed with the "missing ham"! At this point I'm over THE HAM - don't want to talk about the HAM and don't care what happened to the @&#@*&@#^&@# HAM! And, as I'm sitting talking with her 6 days after Thanksgiving ....she brings the subject up, AGAIN! With the force of a ton of bricks out of nowhere - it hits me! I didn't clean up and I didn't put things away! I close my eyes and drop my head. Mema asks what's wrong. I simply say...I think I know where the ham is. She can't believe it (and frankly neither can I)! "Where, where??" she asks. "I bet you anything it's in the lower oven where the men put it after they cut off what they thought was enough for Thanksgiving dinner. I bet after dinner they wrapped up what was left over on the serving dish and forgot about what was in the OVEN!" Mema was stunned and thought this couldn't be possible - surely we would have smelled something by now. (We rarely use the lower oven unless we are having HUGE meals....needless to say, it had not been opened since I originally pulled the ham out.)

    I walked over and cracked the lower oven door open and quickly shut it and told her not to touch it until garbage day! It was there in it's disgusting glory... mystery solved - case closed or should I save oven closed!

    ReplyDelete